Thursday, August 30, 2007

No Shower, No Washer-Dryer, No Service...

So there are a few modern luxuries that I've become accustomed to that I would have to soon learn to live without once I bought my 93 year old home.

For one, while I found the clawfoot tub 'charming'*, it was just that...a tub...meaning that there was no shower at all. This, however, was a rather easy fix...a shower conversion kit
. For right around 200 bucks (though there are more pricey alternatives) this was an easy fix.

Not quite as easy to remedy, however, is the lack of a washer-dryer. With no plumbing hook-ups, electrical outlets, or logical location, this is one item that will require a bit more planning. Ultimately, a nice pair of stackable washer and dryer will sit in a new closet under my stair, opening in to the kitchen. But as of now this is a few months away.

Then there was the internet. In an attempt to save money, and not wanting to go with cable, I contacted Verizon about DSL service only (without phone service). While the initial investigation by the phone company suggested that service was available to the house, a few weeks later a pre-recorded message on my voicemail delivered the bad news. 'Upon further investigation, this service is not available.' Hmmm, well in truth the last thing that I probably need right now is to be surfing the net when I should be doing home improvements (aside from blogging, of course). Yes, this is probably one of the more easily remedied items on my list, but the truth is that I'm just not all that motivated right now. Once my home is complete and I feel as though I can set back and tool around on the internet...then, I'll get this service...either that, or when I get frustrated enough with my crappy cell phone reception in the house and resign myself to a home line...but that's a different issue...

*(okay, so 'charming' is not really a word I'm comfortable using as an architect, but it sounds a lot better than 'if it were up to me I'd rip it out and put in a shower, but now's not the right time for that drastic of a make-over'...and, well, others thought it added character too...)

1 comment:

JackD said...

Aren't "charming" and "character" in the same vocabulary?