Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It's got potential

So, as a first-time homebuyer, I didn't really have a lot of money to spend. As a DC resident, there's not a great deal of affordable options. And as an architect, there weren't a lot of options that would allow me to design the home that I wanted, especially since the recently heated and now waning housing boom had renovated, or at least updated, almost any piece of property that was on the market, and all too often done in a way that was not to my liking. So I was happy to finally find a small, 1914's rowhouse that had all that I was looking for...location, potential, a certain amount of character, and, most importantly, enough room for improvement that I could make it 'my own'. So this is what I started with. A small (832 SF) rowhouse that needed a lot of love. A small bit of garden space in the front, the potential for nice outdoor space at the rear, and a nice front porch appealed to my gardener side; the potential for exposed brick and a clawfoot tub added character; and the impossible-to-use closets and tiny bathroom (4'W x 7'L) would certainly give me some challenges to turn into design opportunities.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, it is strange to see the old pics of your place, it looks so different

b4hand said...

Yes, the questions though is does it look better or worse ;)