Thursday, August 30, 2007

It's drywall, not duct tape!

When I was in architecture school at Virginia Tech, I had a great deal of friends who were engineering students, most of whom had two things in common: 1) a need for the best and fastest computer, and 2) a LOVE of duct tape. Most would argue that duct tape could fix just about anything. And judging by the plethora of books available on the subject, there are many people out there that agree. There are ultimate duct tape books, duct tape calendars, and even Ductigomi (that would be duct tape origami). But while there seems to be an endless fascination with the multifaceted material, there is a noticeable lack of similar infatuation with a different common material.

Yes, I'm talking about drywall. And perhaps it was this lack of love for the paper-sheathed gypsum product that led my home's previous owner to find new and inventive uses for the substance. Such as, did you know that you could make a shelf out of drywall? Well, that's just what the previous owner did! Apparently inspired by a lack of storage space, and to cover up those unsightly pipes, he ingeniously used drywall to fashion a shelf, in...of all places...the bathroom. Yep! The bathroom! Along the lip of the clawfoot tub, no less. Of course there is that pesky fact that drywall and water don't mix..."Oh well", perhaps, thought this resilient homeowner..."I'll glorify this under-appreciated material yet!"

Drywall has always been a great cover-up artist. And the previous owner, as many a homes' owners, has exploited this fact. David has suggested that I should count the layers of material that make up the walls in my house, and that will likely be a feature of a future post. But in the interim, let me just say that if you ever find that plaster wall has lost it's luster, don't loose heart...drywall! Plumbing fixtures and sink vanities in the way? NO PROBLEM! Drywall can be cut around these items...mass amounts of caulk optional. Want to tile that bathroom? Go right ahead! You can glue the tiles straight to the drywall! Not convinced? Yeah, neither was I, and I'm happy to report that these occurrences in my home have been removed!

But most amazing of all, the home-owner didn't stop there! This past weekend I ripped out the drywall in my back bedroom from the ceiling and back wall, the latter of which revealed plaster that was virtually sand. While removing this, my hammer's claw got submerged into the otherwise plaster and brick wall, getting buried in, you guessed it, a piece of drywall. This time, drywall was again being used for cover-up, but this time to cover a hole in the back bedroom wall into the chimney. While this opening is not surprising, as it must have once had a grate and provided heat to this bedroom, it had subsequently been covered over, and the chimney reused as venting for the water heater and gas furnace. Concerned by the potential for carbon monoxide to now flood the back room, I quickly sealed the opening temporarily, and will brick it up in short order. But I'm still amazed that once again drywall was called into service for such an inappropriate use!

So remember...drywall...while it's ever present and makes up much of the world around us...it ain't duct tape! Oh, and just so we're clear...I wouldn't suggest using duct tape for these situations either! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi all rowhouseredux.blogspot.com admin found your website via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com