Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Just a little hole in the wall...

So I learned this weekend that I am NOT a mason, and I have a new found respect for those who are. I realized this as I filled in the aforementioned hole in the back bedroom wall into the chimney. While I'm happy to report that the end result has remedied the existing problem, it is not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but fortunately 1) it seems to be solid and stable, and 2) it will be hidden under paint, insulation, and drywall. Happily the mortar seemed to mix well, and resembled the consistency that I've at least noticed on job sites (to me it looks about like the consistency of a chocolate milkshake.) The 'buttering' of the bricks (i.e. placing mortar on the end of a brink before putting it into place to provide mortar between the bricks in the same row) was perhaps the most challenging aspect (especially considering that I had to butter both ends, given the width of the hole). But in the end it all seems to have work out. Next up: painting the wall with a moisture-lock paint and installing studs and insulation! ;)

No comments: