Monday, September 24, 2007

On Track?

So as seems to be perpetually the case, I finished the weekend with less work getting done than was on my task list. The work that was done included getting the back bedroom brick wall painted with a moisture lock paint (which was prompted by the sand-like consistency of the drywall removed from this wall, which suggests to me a possible moisture issue), picking up a load of drywall from Baltimore (thanks to my friend Jason who had drywall from a project that he gave me for free...which is a considerable savings), and limbing up the front and back yard trees. I had hoped to get the metal stud wall put up on the back brick wall and get the walls insulated, but alas that did not happen. There were a few 'lessons learned' this weekend however:
  1. Moisture lock paint does not work in a paint sprayer (it is too thick apparently)
  2. You cannot rely on Home Depot to have materials in stock (which means that I actually used two different brands of paint on the brick wall)
  3. Moisture lock paint goes on thick, so a gallon doesn't go very far.
  4. I can get a 10' metal stud track in my car (see picture).
I also had a drywaller come by the house on Sunday to give me a quote for the four walls and ceiling in the back bedroom. The quote rendered of $1600 for labor only (I would have to provide materials) seems a bit high to me, so I'll be shopping this around a bit. We'll see what happens, but I may just try my hand at drywall. At a minimum I'm going to see what it would cost to just have someone install the ceiling (which I want a nice, flat and even finish, so I'm a bit reluctant to try this myself) and just finish the walls. We'll see...

No comments: