Monday, September 10, 2007

Dollars & Sense

Ah, yes...the thankless 'jelly jar' lamp.
Basic, simple, and unassuming, but regrettably not in a 'less is more' sort of way. This type of fixture is actually what already was on both the front and rear of my house, albeit much older, more worn examples. But, having yet to find that 'must have' replacement fixture for the back of the house, yet no longer wanting to look at the rusted metal fixture with the brown stained glass 'jar', I realized that it
was time to do something. And upon a recent visit to Home Depot, I decided to give this much maligned little fixture a chance. Maybe it was just misunderstood. So after picking up a fixture in the outdoor lighting aisle, priced at $3.95, I wandered over to the aisle that had replacement globes for lighting fixtures, and decided to customize this little fixture with a white glass globe, priced around $5. (Note that, as was the case with my existing fixtures, some older fixtures may have smaller fittings that a new globe will not fit into.) So for under $10 I ended up with this little guy...a look that I can live with, at least until I find 'the one'. ;)

No comments: