Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Place for Art

So one of the nice things about this project is that it has allowed for several opportunities to incorporate art. I've already mentioned my participation in glass artist Josh Simpson 'Infinity Project'. But two other artists' work now have a slightly more obvious presence in my house as well.

When I raised the ceiling height of the area above my stair, I realized that I had created an area for a hanging feature. My initial thought was to get a distinctive pendant light for the space, and even got a great quote for a Louis Poulsen Enigma 425 pendant. But I realized that, having already planned for lighting above the tray ceiling, that any more lighting would be slightly redundant, and I also wanted something that would really be a feature element, visible from various angles, and which might even help distract from the narrowness of the stair as one ascends. I have always loved mobiles. One of my absolute most favorite spaces in DC is the Calder room in the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art. There is a meditive quality to the space, and I love to sit and watch the mobiles overhead and their cast shadows on the walls. So I started looking into the possibility of purchasing a mobile for the space (this is the 'surprise' that you may remember me mentioning a few months ago). That's when I came across Matt Richards and his company, ekko mobiles. Not only was I impressed by the quality of the mobiles' materials and construction, but I very quickly learned that I could have a custom mobile made for the space, including custom colors. The design was similar to a mobile Matt had designed and created called (appropriately enough) 'Architection'. It was scaled to fit the dimensions of my space. Because the stair would be seen both from from below as you walk up the stairs as well as from the second floor landing, the design incorporates elements which are horizontal to the ground plan (almost like 'lilypads') as well as vertically oriented elements (which are almost like 'paddles' or 'oarheads'). As I had chosen to paint the upper portion of the ceiling above the stairs an orange color (to further accentuate the height of the space), I was able to specify that the color of two of these elements be the same orange, while the other colors were chosen in a more minimal, monochromatic palette of white, grays, and black. I'm really pleased with the results, and the mobile is the perfect element for this space. I can't help but stop and admire it every time I walk by it. And I even was able to refer ekko mobiles to one of my clients where Matt created two very large mobiles, providing the perfect finishing touch on my lobby redesign project (see 'Sisters' on Matt's ekkoblog).










On a recent trip to Charlottesville, VA I came across the work of local artist Milenko Katic. One of his prints, 'Torzo', from his 'Loft Series' caught my eye for the composition and the line quality. The basic forms and overlapping elements of the scene really appealed to me, so once home I researched the artist and learned that the original was available. It now adds another dimension and view to the bedroom. This was my first art purchase, but, now with this and my mobile, I suppose that I'm becoming a collector. Home-renovator and supporter of the arts...I'll take that!

No comments: