Tuesday, January 27, 2009

These Little Lights of Mine

So after four days, the electrician finished up his work on the upstairs yesterday. With the exception of getting one fan that had the wrong receiver included, everything else is in and working. Starting in the rear bedroom, there are the wall sconces that flank either side of the bed. (I should admit that I had originally intended to use these in the bathroom above the vanity before I changed the design of that wall). Because the switches for these are directly below the sconces and fairly prominent, I opted for stainless steel switch plates and black dimmers. (Note our first real snowfall of this winter outside the window.)

The ceiling light fixtures include four of these recessed fixtures which pivot and turn, or can be left flush. I also decided to install ceiling fans in both bedrooms. While I'm not the biggest fan of ceiling fans (excuse the pun) as there are some really ugly ones on the market, they do help with air circulation. I opted for the simple Concept I fan by Minka Aire.

In the hallway, a simple ceiling mount fixture from IKEA lights the landing, while the stairwell is lit from strip lighting in the new cove. You can see that I still need to finish painting, as well as the orange that is still being considered (and may or may not stay). There is also a surprise on the way for this area once I get the painting done!



Finally, in the bathroom, while I have to finish the custom light fixture that I'm installing over the mirror, the 'night light' is now working. This light is operated by switches in either bedroom so that you can turn on the light in the middle of the night before even leaving the bedroom so you don't have to fumble around for the switch. The switches in each bedroom have a small indicator light that both help you find the switch in the dark and let you know if the light is one already (in which case the switch light is off). And while not a light, I also had to show off this clever little switch that I bought for the bathroom fan (the middle switch in the gang of three). This bathroom fan timer allows you to set the time (up to an hour) or set to on. What appealed to me (beyond the modest appearance) is that you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the bathroom fan.

So, while we're on the subject of non-lighting installation, the electrician also installed the dedicated outlet for the tankless water heater, so one step closer to having the plumber return to finish that install.





He also installed my doorbell!










And on Sunday David helped me install my shower converter, so things are really coming together upstairs.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got some painting to do...

No comments: