Thursday, May 14, 2009

Coming in for a Landing...












So this week the final coat of polyurethane was applied to the small landing at the top of my stairs. As you might recall, my original intention was to refinish the entire upstairs, but unfortunately the gummy adhesive residue threw a proverbial wrench in the process. So my plan B was to refinish simply the landing, and then have the bedrooms carpeted.

Because there were irregularities and a lot of variation in the grain of the existing floor, I decided to stain the floors with an ebony stain. I've always loved the look of an ebonized floor, and in this application it helped to conceal some of the years of wear the floor had seen. The railings will soon be stained the same dark color. With the installation of the carpet I'll be well on my way to a completed upstairs!

No comments: