Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A-Door-Able?

So I didn't think that it would be that hard to find a front door for my place. I was wrong. So I finally decided at least on a design for my front door. Originally, I was thinking of doing a full-lite door, similar to those being used inside the house, but without the frosting. But then I realized that some level of privacy might be ideal, and decided to put a little more thought into a design for the door that would offer a little more privacy while still giving me the modern look that I want. I'm not big on panels, and I think that too many panes of glass, even rectangular, begin to look a little goofy. So I finally opted for a simple strip of glass along the handle side of the door, which would reinforce the vertical nature of the rowhouse, as well as add emphasis to the handle side of the door and center of the house.

Ironically, after settling on the design, I quickly came across two examples of this door. One was on a house on HGTV, though it was a comp house for one of the 'sell my house' type of shows, so I cannot find an image of it (too bad, because the entire house was cool). The other was in the new Chiasso catalog (at left).


I have not, however, been able to actually find this door for sale. I have found a place in the UK that I can get something similar, although 1) it's in the UK, and 2) it actually has vertical reveals (that aren't visible due to the door color).


The closest thing that I've found so far is a kit from Crestview Doors that I can buy a solid wood door and make my own.

There was this very smart looking door, though they aren't being manufactured as of yet from what I can find, and anyway they are in Salt Lake City.

So I'm still on the hunt. Anyone have an idea of where I might be able to order one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try Meredith at Custom Craft (yourcustomcraft at verizon dot net). She's in Annapolis and can build a custom door like that for you!

b4hand said...

Thanks!

Barbara said...

I don't know why, but I love doors. I live in Charleston, SC where doors are abundant pieces of art viewed from our historic streets. I love these pictures.
This blog is wonderful!!