Thursday, March 27, 2008

The HVAC is IN...and OUT!

I'm happy, make that thrilled to report that the HVAC unit is in and working...And yes, technically it is on, or out...as in on the roof outside. The new unit, a York Affinity Gas Heating / Electric Cooling package system, sits on steel beams that span from party-wall to party-wall called 'dunnage' above the roof. In addition to keeping the weight of the unit from sitting on the roof itself, this also reduces vibration and noise transference from the unit through the roof. The main reason that I chose to go with this system was because, unlike a split system, there is no furnace located on the interior of the house. In a small house like mine this can free up a lot of space (especially in a case such as mine where the old furnace was located out in the open in the kitchen). And perhaps that is what I'm most excited about...the fact that the old furnace is out as well!

In addition to freeing up room on the interior of the house, the added advantage for me of going with a combined roof top unit is that I no longer require a separate condenser, which in my case was located in the rear yard against the rear wall of the house. This means that once the abandoned condenser has been removed I'll be able to build a deck! But first things first...I still need walls around the bedroom and bathroom!!

No comments: